Monday, February 14, 2011

Candace Sams Archive #8


The Candace Sams Affair: The Archived Version (Part 8),
For all whom are curious, this is a word for word posting of everything that was said during the Candace Sams affair on amazon. I altered none of what was said. The only things I changed were some html that had been attatched to the word document that had come from the amazon page. (And I took that out because it was bloody hard to post here on lj.)

I bear no ill will towards the author. This was not posted in order to either boost or lower her sales. This is here to educate writers, both new & veteran on how not to respond to a negative review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:37 PM PST
 Boo says:
Please note, crazy lady, that you are the only person on this board who has used curse words - no one has called you a b*tch but you. And I have reported each post you made with that language. You should be ashamed of yourself.

5 of 5 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:41 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Say something worth listening to, Karla.

0 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:44 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

And your point is? I got Taylor and the other reviewer to speak up, but they wouldn't keep the conversation between us. I never thought they would...this has happened to others Taylor reviewed. And Taylor could have talked me down...yes, she could. But she and the other one left...and they did what I suspected they'd do...and here you are. By the way...do you even read romances....at all?

0 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:45 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Why, Boo? I'm not on your book's web page tearing you up, am I?

And I should be ashamed?


0 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:46 PM PST
 Boo says:
""And what would you know about reality, Boo? You're spending your Monday night chasing after a romance author's posts.... ""

Hehehehe, did I just hit the nail on the head, Ms. Sams?

Over here it's only about 2:45, and I'm too lazy to 'chase' anyone. I came across this skimming Amazon. And don't worry, I won't be contributing to your paycheck, never fear!

6 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:47 PM PST
  Elizabeth Vail says:
Dear Niteflyr One,

Maybe she just believes she had her say and doesn't have to defend it - which she doesn't. You are perfectly entitled to offer your rebuttal, and offer your viewpoint in order to convince other people who visit Amazon that there are other opinions than LB's. But that doesn't mean LB has to respond.

Again, may I ask, what would have been so awful if you hadn't responded to LB's review? I'm sure other people would read and like your reviews and post it on Amazon, too. Everyone gets bad reviews, absolutely everyone, and it doesn't make you look weak or shy and retiring if you don't respond. If you hadn't responded - maybe LB's review would have been just one blip on the internet - but now there's a lot of attention hyperfocused on a negative opinion of your book. I am honestly asking as one (aspiring) writer to another - why do you feel a response was necessary? What has it achieved?

9 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:49 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Good for you Boo...there's one more illiterate person I won't have to send a hooked-on-phonics primer.

0 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion. _______________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:49 PM PST
 Jackie M says:
""And what would you know about reality, Boo? You're spending your Monday night chasing after a romance author's posts.... ""

I do find it odd that you're telling someone else they don't have much of a life when you're the one who responds to any comment the fastest. I mean, who is the one spending their Monday night chasing after comments they don't like?

7 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:50 PM PST
 C. Park says:
No one started attacking you until you started attacking the reviewer.
And this page isn't for 'your use'. It belongs to the book itself, which is an entirely different entity, so readers may tell other readers what they thought about the book, not, though it is what this whole debacle sounds like, your opinion on ""hit-and-run"" reviewers.

Everyone has a right to question criticism, but most people usually question nicely.

Disclaimer (since it appears to be necessary): I am a reader who does only that, read. As a person who has to live with other people, I appreciate manners when I can get it. I am not out to flame this author.
________________________________________________________________________


In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:50 PM PST
 Jackie Barbosa says:
""Why wouldn't she respond?""

She did, actually, but she was under no obligation to do so. A reviewer, having already taken the time to read your book and post an honest opinion of it, owes you nothing more, whether she loved the book or hated it. And frankly, you ought to be grateful that she did read and review your book, even if you don't agree with her opinion of it. Why? Because she invested her money and her time in YOUR work. To expect any more of her is perverse in the extreme.

11 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:51 PM PST
 Boo says:
Ms. Sams said: ""Why wouldn't [L.B. Taylor] respond?""

Because to the reviewer, contrary to your previous comments, this review was simply that. It was a single opinion, and L.B. moved on with his/her life. You are not the center of the universe, although you are trying darn hard to be that. You weren't as important as you are telling yourself you were.

7 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:51 PM PST
 Ridley says:
Girl, you are hilarious! Are you trolling yourself to drive ""Let's see HOW bad this book is"" sales?

Yes these are all romance readers. Your meltdown landed you a link on a major romance review blog - your meltdown, not your books - and they've all shown up to laugh at you.

You must be proud.

 6 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:55 PM PST
 Boo says:
I love this woman, she's cracking me up. When someone who has posted with more spelling errors than I have tries to suggest Hooked On Phonics, you have to give irony a pat on the back.

6 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:57 PM PST
 John Green says:
I do indeed: from Kathleen Woodiwiss' classic ""The Flame and the Flower"" to Mary Ellen Gronau's ""Passionate Warriors"" to Sandra Hill's ""The Last Viking"". And the reason I can roll them off like that is 'cause they're still on my shelf and I pull 'em out from time to time. Don't know why this is suddenly about ""Romances"" but feel free to elaborate...

My point was that you clearly stated it wasn't about the reviewer not liking your book, when it obviously is.

5 of 5 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:58 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

I will answer you honestly Elizabeth. No...she didn't have to respond. These reviewers never do. I 'wanted' a response from her. I wanted a decent throttle between the two of us, which she clearly did not have to give. But, in the absence of a between-the-two-of-us debate... she directed me to a blog she'd started on the subject. That among other things are why you all are here. I'll ask the same question of you...what's in this for you? What are you getting out of it? Is it making you and everyone else feel good to slam someone? Apparently is does...yet...I'm the sick person? Really?

What has this acheived? If slamming was what most of you wanted, better to do it to me than someone else. I perceive many of you do this a lot...I don't. This is why you've never heard of me. I minded my own business. I kept my mouth shut. On this date and time, during this week......I don't see why I should have to keep my mouth shut on a site that is designated for my book's sales. I'm not on your site. I'm not going after your titles. I won't do that. And that's the difference between me and most of the real sick people over here.

1 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 2:59 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

I am...it's my book...I kind of have a reason to be here, Boo. What's yours?

1 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 3:02 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

C. Park...what business what it of anyone else's to tell me and the reviewer how to interact with one another? What manners are inherent in coming to MY BOOK's web page on Amazon; a page my publisher and Amaon set aside for my book in a contractual agreement that included me?

0 of 10 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 3:04 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Why are you so afraid of my interaction with the reviewer? Was she that upset by my reaction that she yelled this loud about it to others? Why, if she had the nerve to say what she did, do you or anyone else need to defend her? No....the reviewer chose to make the review she did. She can turn around and sell the book on Ebay or Amazon and get her money back. And my time is no less precious than hers.

0 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 3:05 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

But Boo...you and the others have MADE me the center of the universe. I didn't ask any of you over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment