Monday, February 14, 2011

Candace Sams Archive #6



The Candace Sams Affair: The Archived Version (Part 6),

For all whom are curious, this is a word for word posting of everything that was said during the Candace Sams affair on amazon. I altered none of what was said. The only things I changed were some html that had been attatched to the word document that had come from the amazon page. (And I took that out because it was bloody hard to post here on lj.)

I bear no ill will towards the author. This was not posted in order to either boost or lower her sales. This is here to educate writers, both new & veteran on how not to respond to a negative review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:20 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:
How would you know what looks better, Honeywell....can you read?
________________________________________________________________________


 MCTC lover says:
And that makes it right? Perhaps, as an author who clearly wants people to like her books, you should take the high road. If you feel that someone did you wrong, how about being the ""bigger person""? Rather than acting like a 3 year old.

10 of 10 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:22 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Why leave it at that...the party's just getting started....LB sent out the invitations...I'm just providing the fireworks.

1 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:23 PM PST

Niteflyr One says:

No...3 is my favorite number...and I'm not a bigger person....you just said so....

0 of 14 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:33 PM PST

Elizabeth Vail says:
You know what makes me laugh Niteflyr One - with this argument and the reaction on messageboards and Twitter about your childish and buck-passing behaviour, you've just done more damage to your sales and career than this single 1-star review could ever hope to.

I wonder if your editor's reading this. Hmmmm....

11 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:35 PM PST
 Jackie Barbosa says:
""I wonder if your editor's reading this. Hmmmm.... ""

Particularly in light of the fact that Ms. Sams seems to be blaming anything the reviewer didn't like on her editor...

8 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:41 PM PST

 Lisa Rowe says:
Ms Sams, as they say on the interwebs, ""you crazy.""

If your writing resembles what you've done here in this thread, I'm not surprised people gave you 1-star reviews. Words of advice: ellipses aren't periods, ""here"" != ""hear"", and calling a reviewer a coward because s/he didn't come back to engage your crazy words is just absurd. (Nevermind that perhaps L.B. just hasn't come back to amazon.com to engage, or doesn't care).

Your conspiracy theories are, however, a thing of joy and entertainment to read. No, no one is engaged in a campaign against you. It's just that when someone shows their cluelessness so profligately on the 'net, people come by to take a look and laugh.

Your claims that editors ruin your books are just delicious! It's amazing how few other books are ruined by these evil, interfering editors. Their kissing scenes remain intact! How did that happen?

So I'll close by thanking you for some minutes of entertainment - and I didn't even have to buy one of your books to get it!

11 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:47 PM PST

Jackie M says:
Quite honestly, more often than not, it's not a reviewers words that prevent me from reading a novel, but an author's words. If they can't take the criticism, why should I read it and perhaps subject myself to their caustic replies? Besides, Taylor isn't making any decisions on who should or should not buy anything. She's merely giving her opinion and letting others decide. There's other reviews out there, most people won't based their opinion on what ONE person says...unless that ONE person is the author.

8 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:47 PM PST

Niteflyr One says:

And here come some more of LB's friends. Is this what you wanted, LB? Are these the kind of people you hang with? One more of the folks who never intended to buy one of my books and who never heard of me has crawled out from under a rock....

Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another.

0 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author 7 hours ago

Bookfiend says:
Lisa Rowe,

After pages and pages of craziness, people are all overlooking the fact that the reviewer (LB) did come back and respond to Ms Sams -- and she was very polite. I think she just neglected to continue to join the fray a few posts later when she realized that Ms. Sams is irrational. And I would like to point put that I had no idea who LB was, and am not part of this imaginary gang you have invented to explain away the fact that someone just didn't like your book or your behavior.

10 of 10 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:49 PM PST

Niteflyr One says:

But...this is not what LB's webspinners are saying, is it?
________________________________________________________________________
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:50 PM PST

Niteflyr One says:

And your degree in psychology is from? Yes...LB...here's another of your friends...a very nonjudgemental lot they are, too.

1 of 17 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:53 PM PST
 Magdalen77 says:
Nope, it's kind of like watching a car wreck.

7 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:53 PM PST

Niteflyr One says:

Why should he? According to you, hel'll hear it all over the internet. Right where LB ran when she couldn't talk to me without calling her dogs.

1 of 18 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:54 PM PST

C. Garrabrant says:
The funny thing is, none of this is from LB. A total stranger saw his, tweeted it on twitter and a big blog review site has posted about this.

8 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:55 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Watch on...please do....I'm amazed so many have never heard of me after this bad train crashed...and still don't know who I am <g>...yeah, this is important in the real lives of others...

0 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:57 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

And?

According to most of you...no one STILL knows who I am....

On an occasion of this kind it becomes more than a moral duty to speak one's mind. It becomes a pleasure.

0 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion
________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:04 PM PST
 Lisa Rowe says:
Ahh, thank you, Bookfiend.

I, too, have no idea who LB is. Not one of my friends, no one I've met anywhere online. Ms. Sams isn't really willing to admit she is orchestrating this trainwreck on her own, I think!

7 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:05 PM PST
 Magdalen77 says:
Nope, it's not important, but it is entertaining watching a no-name writer self-combust.


6 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:12 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Am I orchestrating it, Lisa....or are there some seriously dangerous people on the Internet who can't pass by a chance to attack someone.

0 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 1:13 PM PST
 Nicole Hicks says:
Ok I have to add my two cents here. Let me say first and foremost that this was brought to my attention by an author friend who thought I would get some entertainment from this ""train wreck"", and she was right. I am both a Review site owner and an Editor, luckily not for this book or author. Had this NOT been brought to my attention I may have purchased this book for a personal read, and may just to see if it is as bad as some say. While I understand an authors desire to defend their work, at the same time shouldn't it be done in the same ""voice"" that they wish to have reviews done in? Whether or not said are done in that fashion. And author puts themselves, and their work, out there when publishing. In a way an author is the book readers version of a Hollywood star. Yes I know the saying that any publicity is good, but do you really want this snide, smart mouthed, uncaring person that you are portraying to be the one that is associated with your work? This seems unprofessional. The editor in me cringes for the poor editor that is getting hammered in this. Editors are there to help ensure that the authors work shines. To help with grammar, spelling, punctuation, flow, ect. We do NOT rewrite or ghost an authors work. So blame on the editor is ridiculous. Yes I am sure that this post will get ridiculed the same as the others, however I am not slamming you and would hope for that same respect to be repaid.

________________________________________________________________________
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:14 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

""...it is entertaining watching a no-name writer self-combust...""

Your words, Magdalen77. And I'm supposed to be the person who isn't sane.

0 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author 7 hours ago
 Niteflyr One says:

Indeed...this snide, smart mouthed person seems to have caught 'your' petty attention (And respect is earned. I am now supposed to give it to you after what you've said?)

But why would you care what I'm doing...I'm crazy, remember? You, on the other hand came over here with nothing to loose and having no reason to be here except to bitch

Again...I'm supposed to be the crazy one? Look how many are haunting this site just to tell me how sincerely insane I am. What about me threatens you all that you have to move in en masse?

0 of 14 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 1:19 PM PST
 R. Mahala Burlingame says:
Niteflr, I don't know LB nor you. I did however find your posts to be so entertaining that I sent an e-mail to your publishers and invited them to come over and see for themselves the amazing amount of good publicity you are generating for them. Perhaps other posters here will also extend that invitation.

If rational posters pleading with you to step back and take a breath, contact a friend or your agent, even talking to publishers has not made you pause and consider your actions I am hoping your publishers will read this and come to your rescue.

11 of 11 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author 7 hours ago
 Jackie M says:
Can I also request the link to the site where Taylor allegedly requested her minions to come over here and attack you? You continually say she did this, yet I haven't seen a link. Unless of course there isn't one and you're fabricating that tale to suit your own needs.

I'm here merely because people on Twitter are talking about this author who is causing her own trainwreck and I wanted to see the fireworks. I don't know who Taylor is and have never read one of her reviews before. Just like any car accident, I'm gawking, because seriously, there are no words to describe what I've been reading.

12 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:29 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

The publisher doesn't even know my phone number, R. Mahala...
The office staff who 'do' know it are seeing some sales pile up and they're telling me to 'keep doing whatever it is that I'm doing'.

Crazy little snide, bellyaching, smartmouthed, no-name, unprofessional bitch that I am <g>

0 of 17 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 1:32 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Yes Jackie...she did tell me the loop she went to where a certain number of people were having a discussion...that you can't find it isn't surprising.

And...I really can't say this enough...I don't care if this is a train wreck, car wreck or a full-out gutting. I stand by my right to say what I please. That you would shut up isn't my problem. I'm not you and that's the entire point. People don't have to respond the way you think they should; the way you think is appropriate. To try and keep them from having their say says much less about me than it does the rest of you.

0 of 17 people think this post adds to the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment