Monday, February 14, 2011

Candace Sams Archive #5


The Candace Sams Affair: The Archived Version (Part 5),
For all whom are curious, this is a word for word posting of everything that was said during the Candace Sams affair on amazon. I altered none of what was said. The only things I changed were some html that had been attatched to the word document that had come from the amazon page. (And I took that out because it was bloody hard to post here on lj.)

I bear no ill will towards the author. This was not posted in order to either boost or lower her sales. This is here to educate writers, both new & veteran on how not to respond to a negative review.



Posted on Dec 14, 2009 11:28 AM PST
  J. Miller says:
I never, ever trust Harriet Klausner's reviews. It is not possible that every book in the Romance genre is a four or five star book.

Ms. Sams - You put yourself out there when you published a book. If you can't take an honest critique of your book, perhaps you need to find a new occupation.

I, for one, will never read one of your books after the spectacle you have made of yourself in this discussion. Your words here did that. Too bad they were louder than the reviewers who liked your books.

 12 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion.

 
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:29 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

No.....'really'? You mean....the posters have stooped so low as to attack a marketing tool?

Why not go after ST. Nick since you're all in such a festive mood.

.....or maybe the other reviewers while we're all here. Surely you must find something about them to hate, too?

Come on guys <g>, keep it coming...let's start a list to see just how many of you can't stand something or somebody or won't read a book you've never heard of and wouldn't have purchased anyhow...at least if you're bitching about me you're not going after someone else. As Martha Stewart would say....that's a good thing....sorry, Martha....I didn't mean to mention you. They'll be shooting you down next....<LOL>

0 of 19 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:34 AM PST
  Madd Witch says:
You call L.B. Taylor a coward for not continuing this futile exchange? Really? It seems to me that she/he's the one exhibiting sense here. No matter what anyone says to you your responses are all the same. Your tone is snidely superior, you ignore any points that don't fit in with your view and you seem to assume that every poster is a ""minion"" of L.B Taylor's who is out to get you in her/his defense. I know I'm wasting my ""breath"" here, as your reply will with out a doubt be more of the same, but I wanted to let you know that to an outside observer who has no stake in this discussion, you aren't coming off as being smarter, better, or tougher than the reviewer, no one thinks her a coward for ignoring your diatribes, and your are making yourself look childish, unstable, and not the sort of person most would spend their money to support.

And just and F.Y.I., I won't be coming back here to look for a response. Not that it will stop you from replying, because, clearly, you are more interested in showing us all how much smarter you are that actually looking like a rational adult.


In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:43 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

Um......nightmusic....the book everyone's so furious about me defending IS a Dorchester title....and I might be writing under six different aliases....you might not know who I really am at all......or how many titles there are out there that you've read and actually liked that belonged to me. I haven't heard of you or anyone else on this list either.

But you are right about one thing.....why would all these fine folks come over here to jump on one author if not to make a name for themselves? I'm not sure many of them even know what the real discussion was ever about....it's been lost in the vindictiveness. It started when one person wouldn't stand and have a one-on-one conversation about what she put on the internet. And I'll repeat this whether any of you like hearing it or not....authors have a right to defend themselves. I'm not sure why any of you think I'd care what you thought at this or any point. Anyone who'd crawl over here, getting into a conversation that 'should' have stayed between me and the original author of the review is just trolling for publicity.

0 of 18 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:45 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

Once again...thank you. I don't want you reading my book. Please don't. Burn a copy if you can find one....go to every internet site you can and have every cronie you know come over here and post...the more the better....

1 of 16 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 11:50 AM PST
  Meljean Brook says:
Another outsider here, who came because of a link in my e-mail, who has no stake in the book, publisher, author, anything.

But the very fact that I am here, witnessing what many readers have been calling a trainwreck, should be a wake-up call. And there are hundreds of other readers coming, too. Please step away from the keyboard for a day. Just a day. Call your editor or agent, or a writing friend. Vent over an e-mail with them, or over the phone.

You are not doing your book any favors by continuing to post right now.

21 of 21 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:52 AM PST
  Lisa Hendrix says:
Wow, @swarovksi, I can't imagine where you came up with this, but Harriett is very real. I've spoken with her. And TIME Magazine interviewed her.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570726,00.html

She's a crazy fast speed reader and always has been, that's all.

2 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:54 AM PST
  swarovski says:
What in the world is happening to you Niteflyr? No one has ever seen anything like this. Yes I do see that you have published under another psuedonym....nothing wrong with that.

Do you need to talk about it?

7 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:55 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

Again....I cannot make this clear enough...surely someone on this list speaks English and can translate for the rest of you...I don't care if you buy one of my titles. Some of you are authors looking for some free publicity, that's why you're over here - shooting with whatever side you feel is the one that's winning. This is an old, old marketing ploy. I'm not hearing anything negative from any of 'my' readers....just those trolling for some attention. Again....LB....come back and let's have a discussion as it should have been done, between you and me. I didn't start the conversation with what I perceived to be such hatred. It sequed this way when you ran to friends when your feelings got hurt...an author actually stood up to you....how many times did you think you'd be able to post what you have and not have someone call you on your reviews?

But let's be clear....this isn't about the review any longer. It's about a lot of folks not wanting anyone having a contrary opinion. Play my way or you're wrong....do it this way or you're wrong. You have to agree with me or you're wrong....

Clearly...I can't see why so many would be so upset over the posting of someone you've never heard of...makes you wonder what you'd do to someone you know.

0 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:57 AM PST
  C. Garrabrant says:
Please, what Meljean said. I understand getting a bad review can be hard for an author, but this public out cry makes it even worse. Take a breath and walk away. You are not doing yourself any favors.

And yes, this has blown up more than you could imagine.

One review is not the end all and be all of the world.

13 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:58 AM PST
  swarovski says:
She's a speed reader who posts 30 positive reviews a week? I don't think so.

It doesn't matter about Time Magazine. They can interview anyone--""she"" could just send in her responses, they don't need to see someone in person. Give it up okay?

3 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author 8 hours ago
  Bookfiend says:
Just so you know Niteflyr One, Meljean Brook is an actual published author with a major company -- since it seems like you don't value the opinion of non-published authors. You should listen to her. (And read her books, she's very talented.) I also came across this thread from a popular industry site and have no stake in this conversation. I'm just incredulous at your behavior. Stop blaming your editor for your problems and ask him or her for some advice about damage control.

  MCTC lover says:
A far more appropriate response would have been: ""Gee, I'm really sorry this book didn't work for you. Not all books work for everyone, and I understand that. Since you liked the premise, I hope you'll try some of my other books.""

14 of 14 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 -------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:09 PM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

Meljean....I'm not trying to do my book any favors...but I do catch a glimmer of concern in your voice on my behalf. The book is a dead issue...indeed, if no one knows who I am as several posters have suggested, then what difference does what I've written make? <g>

Taylor did exactly what she wanted to when she couldn't withstand one simple short paragraph I wrote about her review. She is a coward....she would not contact me back and have a one-on-one conversation. She ran to the nearest blog and posted for backup. I have asked no one to post here on my behalf...indeed, I've asked folks NOT to post as they would then be attacked...and they most certainly would be. Those readers aren't just money to me...they are my friends. I can perceive no lost love among those posting here. They were never readers and never cared a flaming tulip about what I wrote or didn't write...they don't care now. They just want someplace to bitch.

I repeat....LB Taylor is a coward and will remain so until she can clear this posting and face me like a woman who's got some guts. You wrote a review, come out of the woodwork and just have a conversation with ME without crying and whining to dozens of blog sites about it. As I've said in earlier posts, this was pretty much what I expected.....these hit-and-run reviewers really do hit...and run.....

2 of 21 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:12 PM PST
  Niteflyr One says:

Nope...I stand where I stand, swarovski <G>, but thanks for the assist. I want one reviewer to stand and talk about what she wrote...without her backup squad...just her and me. That's it...plain and simple. But this was what it's come to....

0 of 14 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you
________________________________________________________________________
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:13 PM PST
 Honeywell says:
""I can't see why so many would be so upset over the posting of someone you've never heard of...""

Upset? This is good stuff--keep posting! This thread is better than your books at any rate considering the reviews.

8 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:14 PM PST

nightsmusic says:
Um...niteflyr One? You totally misconstrued and twisted my post to suit you. What I said was, say thank you to those whose reviews you're less than happy with and then shut up. Obviously though, since you didn't understand, or didn't want to understand what I had clearly posted, your continued rebuking of what could have been a reader base for you will only alienate you from anyone who now stumbles on this thread.

You're right, I don't know you. I really don't want to either. Grace goes a long way for an author. Grace and a thick skin, neither of which you seem to have as shown by your posts. You don't know me either. You have no idea what I have or haven't published. Let's leave it at that.

13 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:14 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

C. Garrabrant....If one review is not the end of the world...why are you all over here? Apparently, it IS the end of some of your worlds when an author simply posts one paragraph after a reviewer's words have been uncarefully orchestrated.
0 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:15 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Please...can we leave Harriet and anyone else out of any attacks? You're hear to ream me.....I feel neglected <g>.....

0 of 15 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:17 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Bookfiend....I was waiting for you and all the others to give me advice. Clearly, I must have moved to an undemocratic country since I cannot have an opinion of my own, certainly not without input from so many.

Come on LB...just you and me...as it should have been from the beginning....

0 of 16 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 12:18 PM PST
 Niteflyr One says:

Why should I post with such tact...she didn't.....

0 of 17 people think this post adds to the discussion. ________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment