Monday, February 14, 2011

Candace Sams Archive #4


The Candace Sams Affair: The Archived Version (Part 4),

For all whom are curious, this is a word for word posting of everything that was said during the Candace Sams affair on amazon. I altered none of what was said. The only things I changed were some html that had been attatched to the word document that had come from the amazon page. (And I took that out because it was bloody hard to post here on lj.)

I bear no ill will towards the author. This was not posted in order to either boost or lower her sales. This is here to educate writers, both new & veteran on how not to respond to a negative review.


In reply to your post on Dec 13, 2009 10:33 PM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Even the lion has to defend himself against flies.

German proverb

20 of 29 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 ____________________________________________________________________________________

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 7:13 AM PST
  Courtney Milan says:
I am an author--a debut author, no less--and let me assure you, I have control over the content of my book. Lots of it. Sometimes my editor will say, ""This isn't working for me,"" and we'll figure out why and how to make it a better book. But I am the one doing the writing, always, NOT my editor. She edits, and does a darn good job of pushing me to write the best book possible, but I write it.

13 of 18 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 7:46 AM PST
  H. A. Cautrell says:
Dear Niteflyr One,

I would suggest that you pause, step back from your keyboard and think very hard on what you've been writing and what other people are saying in response to your posts. The review was a focused review on the work. It made no mention to specific titles in comparison, but to general guidelines one might encounter in another book in the same genre. The reviewer let everyone know what they think of the book. As opinions go it was no worse than any other. And it is an opinion. Just like your opinion.

You keep crying foul and saying it that if the book is ""bad"" then it's likely the fault of the editor who forces such things on the author. I wouldn't know how that works, I'm not published. However, passing the blame is hardly a good way to show the author of the book in a good light. ""It isn't her fault it's a terrible book, the editor made her do it.""

You're quoting of that German proverb makes me wonder if you even care what your readers think if you equate them with flies. Perhaps you should rethink being an author. It was my understanding that people wrote to entertain others with a story. If you aren't writing for your readers, whom you seem to hold so little regard for, for whom are you writing? Yourself?

8 of 13 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 8:12 AM PST
  John Green says:
""The book that was being reviewed was Electra Galaxy's Mr. Interstellar Feller (a police procedural, action-adventure space romance). It sold out because the reviewer and some of her blogging companions attacked the book and me in a public forum.""

The book hadn't sold out- its still listed as ""in stock"" by Amazon. Not to disparage, but this is the second blatantly erroneous statement you've made so far: the first being when you accused the reviewer of quoting other sources, which they never did. After reading through this entire exchange, I'm not certain I'd like to read any of your works despite the mostly positive reviews. But I do think maybe you need a vacation.

6 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 8:54 AM PST
  C. Garrabrant says:
A reviewer has a right to their opinion, good or bad. As an author you take the criticism and go on to write a better novel. When an author comes here and complains about a review or the reviewer, it really puts a bad taste in a reader's mouth, thus stopping a reader from wanting to buy that author's future work. That is called bad author behavior.

And how can you state an author has no control over their dialogue and character's actions?
6 of 12 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:16 AM PST
  Michele Lee says:
LMAO Seriously? Klausner has a HORRIBLE reputation in the publishing world for inaccuracy in reviews to the point that most people don't believe she reads anything. And no, they aren't hit-and-run reviewers. Hit-and-run reviewers are those strange five star reviews that turn out to be friends and family of the author, or the author themselves under a hidden name, trying to boost the book's Amazon rating.

You really aren't helping yourself by attacking the reviewer and citing Klausner as a pro.

3 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:48 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Good for you, Courtney...what New York publisher are you with?

5 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:49 AM PST
  Magdalen77 says:
I'm trying to get the logic of your comments. We should buy and like your book even if it has things in it that we don't like because ""the editor made me do it"". I don't think so. Regardless of who ""made"" you write what you do, this reviewer didn't like it and shouldn't be forced to say so just because it's not your fault.

2 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:50 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Would my stepping back be equated to shutting up? Because that's what all this is about; Some people having their opinion while others don't. As to my readers...you don't know who they are...they've been online all weekend trying to defend me after I've asked them to stay out of the fray so they won't be sniped as well.

5 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:53 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
No John...when the sniping started, the book sold out. I was informed of this long before anything came on line about it...this is another example of how little some of the posters know about this business. I don't care if you read any of my titles I'd have thought that that was obvious by now. People who aren't so narrow-minded as most on this posting list ARE reading them and they matter.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Magdalen77 says:
If it was true that publishers cared about Amazon (or any other bookstores) website reviews then there's any number of authors who would never get a publishing contract. Including some of the biggest authors around like James Paterson. You did know that when you became a writer and had your book published people would evaluate and critique, didn't you? It's part of the job. If you really hate negative reviews then I suggest you stop writing and publishing novels for the general public. Maybe you could write everything on a private website and only give access to your BFFs.
2 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:56 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Because, that's the way the business works in some New York venues. Only the highest paid authors won't have their manuscripts ripped apart by some editors. As to my bad author behavior...I'm getting a lot of email telling me to stand my ground...from people who ARE buying my books. Why is it so difficult to accept that when one reviewer brandishes her opinion, then anyone else should be able to have theirs without a lot of folks who - admittedly - won't read my work having an opinion...very curious.

5 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 9:57 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
And this is yet another tactic of those who won't let the author have an opinion; a straight talk with the reviewer who seems to have fled after calling out her goons. Why attack Harriet...what's she done? Who else will you all go after?

5 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:04 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
No...I'm not asking anyone on this list posting right now to buy anything of mine. I don't write for people who are so concerned with keeping authors from saying what they want to. Taylor has rated numerous authors poorly. Instead of keeping her discussion with me...she ran to the nearest bitch batch to get people over here to gripe. What Taylor doesn't understand any more than many of you is that what the manuscript looks like when it gets turned in is NOT what come out at the end and she meant to hurt my ability to sell books WITH her review. I know this because of what she's done to other authors and by what many of you are saying here.

5 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:07 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Maybe posters - like you - who don't like negative feedback from authors should consider your words?

It is much easier to be critical than to be correct.

5 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:14 AM PST
  Magdalen77 says:
I've checked her ranking among reviewers and it's not very high, so how can you claim that she's renowned throughout the (I assume) romance world for writing bad reviews? BTW I don't know her at all and I'm not coming to her defense, your strange comments are what prompted me to post.

If you have so many fans applauding what you're saying here (and you don't even care if anyone here or reading here ever buys your books) then you shouldn't care about what the few people here are posting. Why are you bothering?

3 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:16 AM PST
  Magdalen77 says:
Oh, I don't care go right ahead. My widdle feelings won't be hurt.

3 of 8 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:25 AM PST
  Megan Frampton says:
I'm not Courtney, but I came over here via the DearAuthor thread. Courtney is with HQN, and her novella (in an anthology) just hit the USA Today's bestseller list. Her full-length debut comes out next month.
2 of 7 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:34 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Then...why post if your feelins weren't hurt to begin with...I thought that's the reason all of you came over...hmmm...

3 of 5 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:35 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
Good for her...come back when she's published thirty novels like me and has done business with Dorchester <g>.
 

  Niteflyr One says:
It's amusing me no end <g>...

A sneer is the weapon of the weak.

2 of 5 people think this post adds to the discussion.


In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 10:57 AM PST
  Courtney Milan says:
I suppose the argument from irrelevant authority is the weapon of the strong?

2 of 6 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:06 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
And you're the judge over who's the irrelevant authority aren't you.

1 of 4 people think this post adds to the discussion.


In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:06 AM PST
  Courtney Milan says:
Okay, I shouldn't have posted that second comment. When I first came here, I assumed that ""Niteflyr One"" was an overzealous fan not doing Candace Sams any favors and thought clarification would actually be helpful. I wasn't trying to be snarky (the first time); I was trying the second time.

Shouldn't have done that. I apologize.

4 of 4 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:12 AM PST
  swarovski says:
I guess the joke's on you, Niteflyr. Harriett Klausner who you admire is not even real. Different publishing houses use this name to go in and post positive reviews of their books--trying to put her forth as a 'real person' who really liked that particular book. I have no idea why they would go to this length and use this kind of deception. They're not even intelligent enough to change her name to something else....so ""she"" has been around so long now that everyone has figured it out.


In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:22 AM PST
  Niteflyr One says:
It wouldn't have mattered if I was an overzealous fan....no one posting here meant to ever buy a book of mine...they just came over to support LB Taylor's comment when I questioned it....she couldn't talk to me one-on-one so she ran to some blog or other to round up her posse; people who couldn't give a flying rat's behind about the title in question so long as they could bitch about something....

0 of 1 people think this post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 11:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author 3 minutes ago
  nightsmusic says:
Certainly not trying to be disrespectful at all here, and I really don't review books because I'd much rather read them, but...you've published 30 books? Really? And one with Dorchester? I'd never heard of you before the Dear Author column. Oddly enough, Amazon only lists 7 stand alones and one anthology of you along with two other authors I've also not heard of. If you've published with Dorchester, Amazon would surely list that book as well.

All of that aside, I really think the best thing any author can do when they receive a less than five star review is to say, 'thank you for reading my book' and then move on. One person's opinion will not make or break anyone's sales which has been evidenced time and again. However, the author's actions toward that opinion often is ultimately reflected in current and future sales. Right now, you are one of those authors who would have been better served to just say thanks.

Edited to add...I have no idea who LBTaylor is and frankly don't care. My opinion is solely mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment